Shadow and Light

Self Portrait in Charcoal and Pitt Pastels

Half of us in light

Half of us in dark

Our “knowing” brain tries its best to fill in the missing parts.

Using only 10% of our brains, the other 90% of our abilities remain hidden-our full illumination

hidden

Where do we come from?

Where are we going?

 


The Treasure House

“When creativity awakens, we discover that nothing is truly complete or closed in life.   The deeper we attend to the soul, the more we realize what a treasure-house we have inherited……..John O’Donohue

Class began today!

First Class Assignment:  Self portrait in charcoal

I also just wanted to say,

“Thank you”

for the wonderful comments I received on the sketches from my previous post.

Right now, this “drawing thing” is making me very happy.  Life could not be sweeter….


9 Days

“It’s impossible to look at something too closely or too often; you always see something more.  Everything changes: I experience the wonderful surprise of discovering something utterly new…..Willam Berra

“I learn more about myself from my sketching and painting than from my thinking.  Something will appear that I would not have been able to put into words”….Linda Leslie

…..”Sketchbook Confidential” (Secrets from the private sketches of over 40 master artists) by Pamela Wissman and Stefanie Lanfersweiler

Since last year’s portrait drawing class, I look more deeply at the faces of my acquaintances and loved ones , with a view to curves and planes how deeply the eyes set into the face, discreet and subtle birthmarks.   It’s a comfort to know that one can never look too deeply at anything. It is true: you always see something more and things are always changing.

I do know that regardless of the results, I walk away from the drawing table feeling as though something has loosened itself from my grip, something good has happened even if it is not easy to explain.  I keep the small graph papered notebook in my purse and pull it out in idle moments.  I keep notes on the learning process of drawing-what went right,  what went wrong and any insights gained on re-occuring problems I encounter in creating a 3 dimensional vision on a flat page…..practice practice practice.  Walking along the path, I find that everything is food for the path.

In 9 more days as the cold weather sets in, Misty Mawn’s online art class begins: Stretching Within. Last year the focus was on seeing the outside world more clearly.  This year the eyes turn inward as this class will cover  usage of diverse mediums: drawing painting, photojournaling and collage.  Can’t wait for it to begin.


One Thing Well Done….

…..”hope is healing and generosity is healing

maturity,

wisdom

perspective

stability,

composure

these are healing

and dreams are healing visions, sacred songs, dances, inspired drawing

the awe and wonder we feel,

and art is healing need I say it? – endless burgeoning diversity,

the loveliness of one thing well done, with great care, and boldness too……

…..Buddhist Prayer

 

Pattern: Swallow Tail Shawl by Evelyn Clark

Yarn: Laceweight Raw Silk Tsumugi by Habu Textiles

Needles: Size 5

Modifications:  Rumor has it that the sizing is a bit too small.  Adding an additional 5 rows to the center repeats for a larger  final measurement.

Recipient: Aunt Effie -a knitting prayer of hope comfort and healing

 

“May whatever is healing, touch whatever needs healing”


Tweed Baby Blanket

This gift is long overdue. It sat in my basket for months with only 5 remaining rows to knit. Sweetie tried numerous times to claim it as her own. There were days when I would have gladly relinquished it to her rather than plow through the last 5 rows.

Today I have no regrets. Kudos to Brooklyn Tweed for creating elegance in a simple design. The center panel is knit on the bias giving it a comforting “body hugging” quality and the icord bind off was an absolutely perfect finish. Right now I am anticipating the joy of finally placing this blanket in the hands of a new mother and seeing her smile. For more photos feel free to visit my Ravelry notebook.